Thursday, October 2, 2008

A little housekeeping...

Yes, it's time for The Hawg to take care of a little business, so please bear with me.

First of all, I've been granted Margie and Edna's Special Tea Award. If you haven't visited Margie and Edna's Basement yet, click right here and head over there. I like those two ladies as their blog is always entertaining and they've always been nice to me. Besides, they refer to me as Mr. The Hawg and I think that's funny.

I like this particular award, too. Why? Because there are no strings attached. I always love getting awards, but they typically require me to pick some more people to send them to -- rather like an Internet chain letter at times. Some of the recipients are glad to get them whereas some people just get irritated.

Ah, but this award from Margie and Edna is different. It's meant as a sincere honor and there are no requirements to pass it on to other bloggers. Again, I don't mind passing on awards and I always love to get them, but a change of pace is nice, right?

So, I'm honored to get this award from two of the friendliest and most entertaining bloggers out there. I'm proud to add this one to that trophy case in my sidebar.

Top Entrecard droppers


Well, I'm a bit late on posting the top Entrecard Droppers for September. So, here are the top 10 Entrecard droppers as of October 2nd. Close enough, I figure:

TuitionPlace

Picture to People

Mommieshome.net

Credit Card Lab

Crotchety Old Man Yells at Cars


MoneyOnlineGuides

Stud Kickass


Slow Streamyx

Helping Yourself

Designing Hillary


Thanks, folks. I appreciate everyone taking out time to stop in at my little blog so regularly.

The Hawg cleans house

I've noticed that a lot of blogs I visit regularly are choked down with java script and all manner of slow-loading things. I timed my blog and noticed that I had a lot of stuff slowing it down, too.

So, I've cut out a lot of that stuff. Yes, the widget that told where visitors are coming from is gone as both Feedburner and Google Analytics tell me that. Those image-heavy ads that no one was clicking are gone, too.

What's left? A few ads that still no one will click and a few items that are essential (well, that awards shelf isn't essential, but I like such ego-enhancing things). I've also moved my Entrecard widget up top so people can spot it easier.

The Hawg has fallen behind

As I've already mentioned, my wonderful ulcerative colitis (a true pain in the ass) has been giving me fits. After a day of work, I'm often too tired to drop on Entrecard as I should, Digg articles and all that other stuff.

I'm not happy about falling behind so much, but I'm heading to the doctor for another, err, scope test in the morning. Hopefully, I'll be back up to speed soon.

And finally...

Watch the debate? I did. What did you think? Was Sarah Palin or Joe Biden more impressive? Leave a comment. Come on, folks -- share!

10 comments:

Toni said...

Congrats on your award and good luck with your test!

HawgWyld said...

Toni:

Thanks! I'm hoping they'll figure out what the heck is going wrong...

Da Old Man said...

The page loads much faster, now, BTW. Congrats on the award, too.

What a jam packed post, don't want to leave anything out.

Hope the medical thing gets taken care of.

And finally, the debate.

It's funny, I watched a lot of "man in the street" interviews this morning, and each one said Biden won, if they identified themselves as pro Obama, and Palin won if they were for McCain.
Persoanlly, it seemed to be a draw to me. Biden said a few things that concerned me greatly, but I'm willing to bet most either didn't hear or don't understand. I'll go to one of your other blogs to talk about that. :)

Paul Eilers said...

My wife and I watched the debate last night. We thought Sarah Palin was great! She has something that cannot be taught - charisma.

At the same time, I also believe Joe Biden did well. He did tell quite a few falsehoods, which in the information age, are pounced on immediately. So I don't know why someone would think they could slide by by doing something like that.

When the TV cameras had a particular angle, you could see Biden smling at Palin. I would say to my wife, "He genuinely likes her." And I really think he does.

Which brings me to this point. I believe that most people like Sarah Palin. Now they may not agree with her on all things, and may not like her political views, but I think a large number of people like her.

And in this election, it is the little things that will make the difference.

HawgWyld said...

da old man -- Glad to hear the page loads faster. That was the goal and I've glad I've succeeded. There's nothing worse than a slow loading blog.

The procedure was nasty. Kind of like getting raped with an air hose as they didn't warn me no drugs would be used for this particular test. Yuck. Looks like my fun colitis is raging, too. Double yuck.

The fascinating thing about the debate, I think, is that both candidates did well. I think your assessment is correct -- I'm inclined to say Palin won because I like her, anyway. Besides, some of the stuff from Biden concerned me, too. I particularly enjoyed the increased spending that will be financed with money that will appear magically. Genius!

Paul -- I agree completely. She is very likable, indeed, and that will make a difference.

I think the "lie and see if we can get away with it" is rather the legacy of our old friend Bill Clinton. That tactic served him well in Arkansas and as president. In this day and age where we simply expect our politicians to lie and there are no consequences for doing it, that will only get worse.

Regardless, both candidates scored some points last night. There's no arguing that. I do believe Palin's performance was noteworthy because the press has been setting her up to fail, and she pulled through just fine.

ImitationAngel said...

Congrats on your award. I did catch a small bit of the debate and I was impressed that Palin was able to hold her own. From what I saw both did a nice job.

maria said...

Hello,

First time here and I like what I read.

Sorry for your medical test without a drug(that's torture).

I think the debate was fairly even.
I was not impressed by any of them.

Maria

HawgWyld said...

imitationangel -- I agree -- both candidates did what they needed to do. I'm inclined to give the nod to Palin simply because she's been portrayed as an idiot since she accepted the nomination. She held her own during the debate and, therefore, exceeded expectations.

Biden came across well, too.

Maria -- Welcome and I hope to see you around these parts some more. The debate was fairly even, indeed. I do believe you'll find Democrats say Biden won and Republicans are declaring Palin the winner.

Margie and Edna said...

Dear Mr. The Hawg,

We are very glad that you like your award. You are a kind young man with an entertaining blog, and you deserve to receive accolades. Now you take care of your health, you understand? We'll be thinking of you when we drink our restorative elderberry cordials this evening.

Sincerely,

Margie and Edna

HawgWyld said...

Margie and Edna:

I'm working on taking care of my health, even though both the visit to the endoscopy clinic and the subsequent treatment are mind-numbingly horrifying.

Bad, bad stuff.

Enjoy those elderberry cordials. I'm still mad that I-Hop has gotten rid of it's wonderful boysenberry syrup, but that's a rant for another time...