Friday, January 2, 2009

The Hawg is a New Year's Scrooge

Yeah. That's right. I, The Hawg, don't care one whit for New Year's Eve, New Year's Day or any of that rot.

What did I do on that nothing of a holiday? I went to bed early on New Year's Eve, slept late the next morning, watched a little football and helped my wife put away Christmas ornaments.

I ended New Year's Day by watching my 140-pound monster of a dog wander over and drink half of my red cream soda (once he stuck his huge tongue in the glass, I figured there was no point in running him off -- I didn't want it, so why not let the dog have his fun?) There's some symbolism there, I'm sure.

I figure that New Year's is a holiday for people in their 20s, anyway, and one of those things that doesn't have much meaning for those of us pushing 40-years-old and raising kids.

Oh, there was a time when I'd go out on New Year's Eve and drag home sometime in mid-February or March. Yes, there was much revelry and carousing back then, but you can't run around like a moron when you've got a wife and kids, can you? No, those days are over and I'm left with a pitiful one day off from work and the sad task of taking down Christmas decorations.

They've even deprived me of my New Year's Day bowl games. Remember when the biggest college football game of the year was played on New Year's Day? They don't do that anymore -- the BCS knotheads decided to move the championship to some other day, thus depriving us Americans of yet another holiday tradition.

Phooey on them.

And phooey on New Year's, a day that marks the end of the holiday season and the beginning of things getting back to normal. After Christmas -- the super bowl of holidays and my favorite time of year -- New Year's is incredibly anticlimactic.

Bah, humbug!

7 comments:

JD at I Do Things said...

I'm a NY Scrooge too. I didn't even love it that much in my wild youth. It was like an evening of enforced fun. Too much pressure. I went to bed early (like every other NYE since I turned 30) and didn't do anything special yesterday. But, dang! That red cream soda sounds good! I should have at least popped open a can and shared it with my cat.

JD at I Do Things

Anonymous said...

Hey Hawg, even though you don't celebrate, I still would like to wish you all the best in 2009! :)

Unknown said...

Ah, the world is full of too many Scrooges. Break out of the mold! :)

Anonymous said...

Sheesh Hawg. Are you angry? Bitter? Need chocolate? LOL Just kidding ya. Have a good year.

Anonymous said...

DITTO.

I miss the football games, too. Looking forward to the Superbowl!

I think the Romans are to be blamed for Januray 1st as the New Year Day. For eons, the new year was in spring, when everything was coming out of dormancy.

Paul Eilers said...

Hawg,

My wife and I struggled to stay awake until midnight on New Year's Eve. We turned on the tube, and there was NO coverage, except for the 24 hour news channels.

Like you said, if you're married with kids, and still out celebrating like you're 22 years old, then you need to grow up.

But hey, the college football the next day is great, eh?

HawgWyld said...

JD -- Red Cream soda is great stuff. And the cheap ol' Big K stuff is my brand. Yeah, that's right. The Kroger label.

Go figure.

Buy some soon and share it with a cat you love.

John -- Same to you, John! I just never saw the big deal of the calendar switching over to a new year. It's a decent day off, however.

Sherry -- Humbug!

I love Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving, though. Do those count?

Karen -- Heh. I'm not a fan of chocolate, either. Oddly, I've never met a woman who didn't absolutely love the stuff.

Rebecca -- I could really get enthusiastic about the new year being in the spring -- the symbolism there is perfect. This "dead of winter" stuff is for the birds.

Well, the ones that haven't gone south, anyway.

Paul -- It would have been, I think, had I been able to watch much football. No such luck for poor ol' Hawg...