Monday, December 7, 2009

White lights or something more colorful?

christmas-lights-1

Being from the South, I sometimes find it hard to talk about Christmas lights.

Why? Well, talking about “colored lights” here in the South just sounds somehow wrong, doesn’t it? Brings up memories of the rants that Ku Klux Klan member in town used to engage in from time to time. Ugh. Distasteful.

At any rate, I’ve noticed that a lot of folks around here are going for white lights this year. White lights all over their trees, outdoor decorations and everything else.

We’re more confused around my house, really. We’ve got two Christmas trees here that have all white lights while our largest one – the centerpiece of the entire living room – is brimming with red, blue, orange, green and even pink lights. The lights on our roof are of the multi-colored type (and they’re of the beautiful, ceramic 1970s era, too). We’ve got a wireframe, animated grazing deer in the yard that covered with white lights and three miniature trees that are very colorful flank it.

So, we rather like both that stark white color scheme and something with a bit more whimsical zing to it. The only thing I hate are those horrible flashing things on which half of a tree just goes dark all the sudden. Yuck. The lights here have to be solid – no horrendous and confusing flashing here.

What’s the point to all this rambling? I’m curious – is everyone out there using colorful or all white lights this year? A mixture of the two? Yes, Christmas decorations fascinate me…

7 comments:

Kathy said...

We don't put lights up most years, but my whole neighborhood does. For many years, it was always white lights and looked so boring. BUt for some reason, this year has been an explosion of color! I'm so happy. I love driving home from work in the dark, down multicolored streets. I'm a huge fan of other people's colorful work!

Walt Webb said...

Just thought I would drop by and say hello. I am not much for the white lights. If your decorating you need so colour.
Walt AKA All Sports on the Web

HawgWyld said...

Kathy -- Oh, you need to get in all the fun of putting up lights. It's a lot of work, but worth it as my wife and kids love to have those up all over the place.

Walt Webb -- I can't imagine just having all white. Seems a bit drab...

Jamaipanese said...

not many lights are put up in my neck of the woods but some business places and office buildings usually have a lot of lights

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't think I've ever used white lights. I've always used the multicolored kind. The flashing lights look good if you can get them to flash the right way and in the right pattern.

HawgWyld said...

Jamaipanese -- First of all, love the handle. Jamaipanese. Heh. I could say it all day.

You ought to go and start a Christmas lights revolution. Just go nuts!

Ratty -- I agree about the whole deal with "pattern flashing." Those look great. However, the things that simply cut about half the lights in a strand out for a couple of seconds drive me up the wall.

Unknown said...

Haven't decided what I'm going to do this year. But, before I moved, I left my Christmas tree up year 'round. White lights everywhere.