Wednesday, October 8, 2008

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday -- nothing but fun

After a week of stewing over my health, fuming about that $700 billion bailout and generally being in a rotten mood, it's time to lighten things up a bit.

A lot, actually.

So, I'm taking advantage of this Wordless Wednesday by posting two videos from bands that are guaranteed to make you smile -- Shonen Knife and Cub.

First up is Shonen Knife with 1997's "It's a New Find." What's not to love about these Japanese secretaries-turned-rockers who adored the Ramones and sang about everything from banana chips to sushi? What's not to love a band that has enough of a sense of humor to cover the Rutles' "Goosestep Mama" and contribute a song -- "Buttercup (I'm a Super Girl)" -- to a Powerpuff Girls soundtrack?

In this particular video, the ladies in Shonen Knife even utilized some Elvis Presley imagery. The Hawg loves Shonen Knife. You will, too.



Next up is Canada's own Cub with "My Chinchilla," from 1993's Betti-Cola album -- the band's first LP. How cool was Cub? Cool enough to have Dan DeCarlo illustrate the cover of the Betti-Cola album. DeCarlo, of course, is best known for creating the "look" of the Archie comics series.

Here's a little trivia. In the early days, Cub guitarist Robynn Iwata had to use cheat sheets on stage because she was busily learning how to play guitar and needed to look at the chords for each song. Let's hear it for the enthusiastic amateurs!

My seven-year-old daughter loves this particular song and that's reason enough to like it. Cub was a great band that called it quits too soon (the group disbanded in 1997).



I hope y'all enjoyed those. I always do. For more Wordless Wednesday goodness, click right here.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Are psychotic breaks another symptom of having ulcerative colitis or is this something entirely unrelated??? Enquiring minds want to know.

Hagar's Daughter said...

happy (almost) ww. I don't want to think about this economy.

HawgWyld said...

FishHawk -- Nah. Already broken prior to getting sick. I've loved Shonen Knife and Cub for years.

Kind of like listening to those "Scooby Doo" musical interludes, only there's more of an edge, you know?

hagar's daughter -- I don't want to think about the economy, either. My suggestion? Listen to plenty of Shonen Knife and Cub. Good and loud, too.

Paul Eilers said...

Hawg,

In regards to the debate last night, I thought it was boring. I did not learn anything new about either candidate.

I wish they would change the format and let the two talk directly to each other, rather than letting the moderator control everything.

HawgWyld said...

Paul -- I didn't bother with the debate last night as I know who I'm going to vote for and McCain has been infuriating me lately. I'm still voting for him, but I'm less than pleased with his role in the bailout.

Leonardo C. de Almeida said...

Nice post.

Keep going on!

HawgWyld said...

Leonardo:

Thanks! Love those two bands -- great "pick me up" music when I'm in a rotten mood.

Kelly said...

WOW! I had forgotten all about Shonen Knife! Great band.