Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sexual misconduct with a horse?

scared_horse

Being a former newspaperman and a current public relations guy means that I still know a lot of journalists.

Thankfully those folks send me some articles from time to time. A friend of mine sent over an article today about a man who is accused of engaging in sexual misconduct with a horse and then fleeing.

I assume he was fleeing from the cops rather than a possible relationship with the horse.

Now, all this took place in Texarkana. I had hoped it took place on the Texas side. No such luck. The whole thing is being heard on the Arkansas side of the city in Miller County, so we’ve got ourselves a Natural State crime.

Good grief.

I’ve noticed the accused – 57-year-old Harry Johnson – has turned down a pretty good plea bargain. In exchange for a no-contest plea, the defendant was to receive a 60-day sentence in jail with credit for 53 days served.

Not a bad deal as Johnson could go to prison for up to a year if convicted. He has refused to take the plea and I can’t say I blame him. Who wants to go around being known as a horse rapist?

By the way, I wonder if people accused of sexually assaulting animals in Arkansas has to register as a sex offender? Fortunately I don’t practice law anymore so I have the luxury of not giving a damn.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good question you posed at the end!!

I'm just happy to read that something embarrassing happens somewhere other than South Carolina. We've had our share!

HawgWyld said...

Sherry -- Oh, there's always something embarrassing around here to report.

Sad but true...

Unknown said...

Oh, my gosh! I was wrong. It happened in South Carolina. Here's the link to the AP story about it as carried on Fox News. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535400,00.html I thought it sounded too familiar!!!