Thursday, June 14, 2012

Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue coming to Xbox Live Arcade?

ArcadiaDC

It happens regularly – just when I’ve decided that wasting my money on an Xbox 360 was a bad idea, something comes along to give me hope for the console.

Now, don’t get me wrong – the problem with the Xbox 360 has nothing to do with the console. Rather, the video game market isn’t exactly tailored to 43-year-old married guys who grew up on the Atari 2600 and hate Halo with a passion that borders on irrational. While it stinks to realize that it seems I’ve outgrown video games, that’s exactly what’s happened (well, when it comes to the latest batch of consoles, at least).

At any rate, one bit of news that has given me hope is an announcement that Sega might be working on high definition versions of both Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue to release for download through Xbox Live Arcade. That’s great news for those of us who still think fondly of our old Sega Dreamcast systems and count Skies of Arcadia as one of the greatest Japanese RPGs in the genre.

I’ll not get too excited until I see the games actually show up, however. Those of us who have been waiting for a sequel to Skies of Arcadia have been teased in the past. Sure the video game was ported to the Nintendo Gamecube in 2002 as Skies of Arcadia Legends, but that game wasn’t terribly different from the original.

If Skies of Arcadia does show up on Xbox Live Arcade, one can only guess whether it will be a substantial update to a 12-year-old game or merely the same thing with high definition graphics. The truth of the matter, however, is this – if it shows up for the Xbox Live Arcade, I’ll probably buy it regardless of whether it’s substantially different from the original or not.

No comments: